2014 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatchback/Manual: I GOTTED ONE! Well, a 2015 s GT.

Reply to topic
82 posts •
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3  Next
  • Right now, my wife & I have a 2011 Mazda 2. Base model. It has Features! Four wheels, an engine, a steering wheel, and it runs & drives! *sigh* It lacks silly, frivolous things like bluetooth, cruise control, and anything resembling reasonable FM reception. At least it has an aux in port... And it's paid for.

    We're looking into trading this in for something a bit newer/nicer, as we're planning on kids at some point in the reasonably near future ( :eyebrow: ) and a quick survey of "reasonable strollers vs the back of the Mazda 2" resulted in my wife realizing that it's really /not/ a viable option. Dismantling the stroller every time and having no room for anything else isn't a particularly entertaining sounding option.

    I've had some serious car lust for the SkyActiv Mazda3s, and when the 2014s came out with the new body style, :eek: :devious: :D I /like/ it. And, you know, same-or-better fuel economy, a lot more space in the rear, and the possibility of Modern Features(TM).

    So, we looked at a few hatchbacks tonight. Wife approves of the space in the rear, test drove a manual & thinks it perfectly reasonable, and we generally think this is a reasonable upgrade.

    Looking at the options, it seems the Grand Touring model with the manual is probably the best fit for us. The larger engine doesn't come with a manual, and while the high trim level comes with the "ultra fancy stuff" package like radar cruise control, the Grand Touring model has a rear view camera, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, a reasonable Infotainment (*sigh*) system, etc.

    Not having bought a new vehicle recently, I'm a bit uncertain on the ideal process, but I have S Plan pricing through my employer, we've got a previous Mazda for trade in and for the loyalty bonus (whatever they're running at the time), and we have tolerably good credit (760 FICO?). If they can make a good deal on the loan, I'll take that, otherwise I'll just pay the difference in cash.

    I was thinking that waiting towards the end of 2014 might give some better deals on the 2014s, but I have no idea if this is an actual thing or not, or if it affects the S-Plan pricing magic. Or, perhaps, would give me a better deal than S Plan.

    Things I do /NOT/ care about: Towing, cargo hauling, 4WD, off road capability, etc. The 1997 F350 crew cab diesel will take care of all of those, thank you very much.

    So... am I missing anything? Or does this seem a reasonable option? Is there a similar vehicle that's far better for the same price?

    //EDIT: Emphasis on the line that says, "I don't need the ability to haul a lot of stuff. I have that taken care of." The Mazda3 would be for the around town role of wife + child, and for road trips that don't involve hauling a lot of camping gear or similar.

    //EDIT2: No longer looking for advice. Bought one. :) See viewtopic.php?p=27691549#p27691549
    Last edited by Syonyk on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 am
    I'm pretty sure you cannot haggle with the S Plan. It's basically equal to X% below invoice or something like that. It may have changed though. You should still be able to get your loyalty bonus and trade in, but that's it. I'd start off by looking at the pricing deals and incentives first and keep the S Plan in your back pocket. Also, Mazda typically does their year end clearance stuff in October, November, December, if I remember correctly.
    I'm not sure about the particulars of S Plan, but Ford's X Plan works as follows:
    -Price is locked at some percentage under invoice
    -Dealer cannot charge additional fees asides from a very specific set fee that is outlined by the plan (It's like $50)
    -Profit is fixed and paid by manufacturer, so don't let them tell you they aren't making money. The scummier dealers will.
    -Any active manufacturer incentives stack, so if Ford is offering 3k on the hood, then you get that on top of the locked price.
    -Technically, they aren't allowed to deny the discount. Practically, some dealers will.

    I've bought 3 cars under X Plan with Ford and every time it's been fantastic. We got our Focus ST for 8k under sticker, for instance. The dealer we use loves us for it too since they're smart enough to realize we're repeat customers if they accommodate the discount without drama.
    The Mazda 3 gets a lot of love around here in all its forms.

    Bravo for not being *that* couple that decides they have their first kid on the way, so they must buy a huge SUV. Sure, when the kids are teenagers and you're hauling them and all their friends to sports practice or whatever it helps to be able to seat 7. But a child seat doesn't need that much room.
    If the "Infotainment" system is the biggest impetus for getting the Grand Touring over the Touring, consider getting the Touring and going after market for that and the rear camera. You'll pay less for a far superior product. The navigation system especially is getting a lot of bad reviews because they've basically taken a Tom Tom (I think it was Tom Tom) system and crippled it in the name of making it simpler to use. Even the sales guy at the Mazda dealership when I bought my 6 was down on it.

    When buying a car I always get pre-approved financing independently, but let the dealership try to do better. For my 6 I got 0% APR for 60 months. For the 3 hatch it looks like Mazda is offering 0.9%, so try to get them to that at least.

    As an aside, when I was waiting for delivery of my 6 they gave me a complete base 3 four door Sport to drive and it was miserable. I know they're different beasts, but the Touring edition makes a huge difference.
    Actually, the infotainment system/sat nav on the Mazda 3 is pretty slick and much easier to use than the CX-5 from the limited time (i.e., 2 minutes) I've spent with it. It has a jog dial knob in the center console with few buttons so you can keep your arm at your side instead of reach up and press something on the dash. Very Audi-like. As far as the GPS system, I'm not sure if it's a Tom-Tom like mine is. Mine basically is a vanilla Tom-Tom with little to no modifications. The one in Mazda 3 looks and feels very different, although I haven't spent any significant amount of time using it at all. I really like the ergonomic feel of the new Mazda3 from when I sat in one, save one major flaw. The center arm rest isn't long or high enough to actually rest your arm on it. Other than that, it's one comfortable and sexy looking hatchback.

    Be sure to do a test drive of the manual transmission. It's only offered on the 2.0L SkyActiv? On the CX-5, the manual is only offered on the base trim with the 2.0L engine. Which is a shame, because for a car that heavy, the 2.0L is severely underpowered and doesn't have enough torque. It struggles to get up hills sometimes. The 2.5L is where it's at, but it only comes with an automatic transmission. The Touring and Grand Touring CX-5 don't even offer the 2.0L or manual transmission options.
    Jehos wrote:
    Bravo for not being *that* couple that decides they have their first kid on the way, so they must buy a huge SUV. Sure, when the kids are teenagers and you're hauling them and all their friends to sports practice or whatever it helps to be able to seat 7. But a child seat doesn't need that much room.


    I already have the huge vehicle for covering the use cases of most SUVs. :) The normal justifications for SUVs aren't a factor.

    Child seats don't need that much room, but a backwards facing child seat in a small car means you can't put the front seats back all the way, at least some of the time.

    Paul M wrote:
    If the "Infotainment" system is the biggest impetus for getting the Grand Touring over the Touring, consider getting the Touring and going after market for that and the rear camera. You'll pay less for a far superior product. The navigation system especially is getting a lot of bad reviews because they've basically taken a Tom Tom (I think it was Tom Tom) system and crippled it in the name of making it simpler to use. Even the sales guy at the Mazda dealership when I bought my 6 was down on it.


    With the "Sticks out the top of the dash" thing that the Mazda 3 stereo has going on, how would one put in an aftermarket system that wasn't hanging on a stalk from something?

    I want the backup camera, and it looks like the touch screen gizmo is the only way to get that without going aftermarket, which... again, I'm not actually sure how you'd do that. Crutchfield doesn't have anything that they claim fits, and I'd rather not dremel the dashboard on a brand new car to fit an aftermarket stereo...

    Quote:
    When buying a car I always get pre-approved financing independently, but let the dealership try to do better. For my 6 I got 0% APR for 60 months. For the 3 hatch it looks like Mazda is offering 0.9%, so try to get them to that at least.


    I'll look into that with my bank. I've never actually done that before (the only vehicle loan I've ever had was on a motorcycle, and the dealership financing was just fine, plus they didn't know I didn't have a job at that point).

    Quote:
    As an aside, when I was waiting for delivery of my 6 they gave me a complete base 3 four door Sport to drive and it was miserable. I know they're different beasts, but the Touring edition makes a huge difference.


    How so? They have the same engine/transmission.

    shannim wrote:
    Be sure to do a test drive of the manual transmission. It's only offered on the 2.0L SkyActiv? On the CX-5, the manual is only offered on the base trim with the 2.0L engine. Which is a shame, because for a car that heavy, the 2.0L is severely underpowered and doesn't have enough torque. It struggles to get up hills sometimes. The 2.5L is where it's at, but it only comes with an automatic transmission. The Touring and Grand Touring CX-5 don't even offer the 2.0L or manual transmission options.


    I've driven the manual Mazda 3, as has my wife. We haven't had a chance to haul it loaded up a mountain or anything, but given that we're both fine with the power in the Mazda 2 (which has 100hp vs the 155 of the 3), and there's a 6 speed, I doubt it will be an issue. The 2.5 with a manual would be nice, but that's not a thing yet. The automatic is tolerable, but we'd still prefer a manual (and it's $1200 cheaper than the automatic). Plus, the 2.5 is only in the higher trim levels which start getting really rather expensive in a hurry.
    It's entirely possible the 2.0L with manual is sufficient for the weight of the Mazda3 hatch. I compromised with the transmission and got the 2.5L GT CX-5. I had the features I wanted, plus AWD and additional ground clearance. I've already used a small, light, 2WD hatch when going to the ski resort every weekend and it wasn't that great. The CX-5 is perfect for what I use it for.
    Right, the CX5 is another 350-500 lbs on top of the Mazda 3, near as I can tell. And you'll have more power sucked out by the AWD system, so the bigger engine totally makes sense for that platform.

    It doesn't seem like it will be an issue for our needs.
    Syonyk wrote:
    Right, the CX5 is another 350-500 lbs on top of the Mazda 3, near as I can tell. And you'll have more power sucked out by the AWD system, so the bigger engine totally makes sense for that platform.

    It doesn't seem like it will be an issue for our needs.

    According to my manual, my CX-5 weights over 4537 lbs. I find it hard to believe the Mazda 3 weighs 4000 lbs.

    [edit] Never mind. The 4537 lbs is the GVWR, not the curb weight. You're right. It's about 500 lbs heavier when you look at the curb weights.
    Yup. :) Curb weights are the fun ones. My truck with full tanks is around 7500 lbs.
    Syonyk wrote:
    How so? They have the same engine/transmission.

    I was thinking of the difference in the sport and touring when I test drove the CX-5, and the 6, the bigger wheels made a very noticeable difference. I was assuming the difference was the same with the 3, but it looks like that's not the case. You have to get into the s series for that. So frankly I hope the hatch drives better than the 4 door because I found it to be one of the most unpleasant driving experiences I've ever had in a modern vehicle. The road noise was insane, the handling felt like.. you ever build a go-cart when you were a kid with a rope to pull left and right? That's how it felt to me, like I was fighting the road and feeling every bump as if there was no suspension.

    I forgot about the way they mounted the display in the 3 though. I guess you're pretty stuck with that.
    Paul M wrote:
    I was thinking of the difference in the sport and touring when I test drove the CX-5, and the 6, the bigger wheels made a very noticeable difference. I was assuming the difference was the same with the 3, but it looks like that's not the case. You have to get into the s series for that.


    Right, and the s series only comes with the automatic (which I actually don't mind, but really prefer rowing my own, as does my wife). I'm not sure I want to spend that much for a bigger engine given our needs.

    The Grand Touring has the stuff I really want (which does include dual zone climate control, because we run at radically different temperatures) without throwing in too much extra.

    Quote:
    So frankly I hope the hatch drives better than the 4 door because I found it to be one of the most unpleasant driving experiences I've ever had in a modern vehicle. The road noise was insane, the handling felt like.. you ever build a go-cart when you were a kid with a rope to pull left and right? That's how it felt to me, like I was fighting the road and feeling every bump as if there was no suspension.


    I think they handle around the same. I haven't had a chance to really do an extended test drive and flog one a bit, which is something I plan to do before we actually buy, but we're in a Mazda2 right now and a leaf spring based F350, so... it's not hard to be nicer. We both ride motorcycles as well, so the car doesn't have to be an amazing handling vehicle. I thought the Mazda 3 was pretty quiet, but the Mazda 2 is loud enough on the inside to make conversations difficult on some roads, so, again, not a high bar. What are you comparing the car to as far as a "good driving experience"?

    Quote:
    I forgot about the way they mounted the display in the 3 though. I guess you're pretty stuck with that.


    Yeah. :/
    I've got a 3 with a rear facing car seat in the back behind the passenger seat. The passenger has limited space (like seat is most of the way up). If you have access to a carseat that you can borrow to throw in there, I'd recommend at least seeing what kind of space you'll have to work with. I'm 6'1", and to be comfortable the driver's seat has to be back all of the way. There is no way I'd ever be able to get a rear facing carseat behind me.

    I love my 3 for what it is, but it's a small car for sure. I've put a lot of miles on it for work in the last 3.5 years at highway speeds, and I'll complain about the road noise as well. It gets much worse over about 70mph. I hate saying it, but when kiddo #2 comes along I'm probably going to have to find a new ride.
    Shame you yanks only get the electric B-Class, otherwise the gas engine variant would be an option: http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/canada/mpc/mpc_canada_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/b-class/w246.flash.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:w246
    Jeff R. wrote:
    I've got a 3 with a rear facing car seat in the back behind the passenger seat. The passenger has limited space (like seat is most of the way up). If you have access to a carseat that you can borrow to throw in there, I'd recommend at least seeing what kind of space you'll have to work with. I'm 6'1", and to be comfortable the driver's seat has to be back all of the way. There is no way I'd ever be able to get a rear facing carseat behind me.

    I love my 3 for what it is, but it's a small car for sure. I've put a lot of miles on it for work in the last 3.5 years at highway speeds, and I'll complain about the road noise as well. It gets much worse over about 70mph. I hate saying it, but when kiddo #2 comes along I'm probably going to have to find a new ride.


    What year '3 do you have? It sounds like it might be just pre-SkyActiv conversion? They've changed some of the dimensions around the past few years, and the road noise is quieter on the newer ones (supposedly).
    SirWanker wrote:


    Eh, don't think I want to bother with a Mercedes...
    Quote:
    The larger engine doesn't come with a manual,
    The 2015 models add the 6MT to the 2.5 motor. FINALLY!

    http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2015-maz ... -confirmed

    Edmund's model picker shows a MY2015 with 2.5 and a 6-speed manual, too.
    http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda3/201 ... =200703396
    Syonyk wrote:
    What year '3 do you have? It sounds like it might be just pre-SkyActiv conversion? They've changed some of the dimensions around the past few years, and the road noise is quieter on the newer ones (supposedly).


    It's an '08, so it may not be a fair comparison. I'm running 3500 RPM at about 75mph. I'm sure that doesn't help. I had always thought that most sound dampening came from actual sound dampening material in the panels (that they leave out of the 3 to save weight and add fuel economy). You get some out of the tires, etc., but the lion's share comes from insulation. I only mentioned it because there is a pretty significant change in noise between 65 and 75 mph, so I'd get it up to speed on the test drive if you can.
    continuum wrote:
    Quote:
    The larger engine doesn't come with a manual,
    The 2015 models add the 6MT to the 2.5 motor. FINALLY!


    Ooh. Though at a significant hit to fuel economy. I'll probably stick with my plan for the 2.0.
    Were I looking to buy a new car primarily for an infotainment upgrade, I'd hold off for the iOS/Android models to finally hit. As someone with navigation in two cars from companies generally regarded as decent at infotainment, I still use my phone for nav more often because it's just so much faster to enter a destination.
    Semi On wrote:
    Were I looking to buy a new car primarily for an infotainment upgrade, I'd hold off for the iOS/Android models to finally hit. As someone with navigation in two cars from companies generally regarded as decent at infotainment, I still use my phone for nav more often because it's just so much faster to enter a destination.


    Mostly, I'm looking at the Mazda 3, and the level with the complex infotainment system is the level that meets the requirements I want. I agree that waiting for the Android/iOS integration would be nice, but I have no idea when that's actually going to hit the real world, and the current car is likely to be "annoyingly small" before that happens.

    How much of a discount are year end car sales, typically?
    I like my 2013 Mazda3. Just wish I'd sprung for the Grand Touring instead of the Touring. The 2014 sure looks alot sexier, but I don't regret the 2013. I've only had to take it in for oil changes so far (not very many considering its got 45k miles on it - the 7.5k interval is a welcome change from my older car), and according to their inspections everything is wearing like iron. Brakes and tires were still at 75% or better last time it was in.
    So, my family consists of a 2010 Mazda 3s hatchback and a 2015 CX-5, and I would recommend also trying the CX-5 if you're going to have children.

    But wait! It's foolish to get an SUV with just one child, you say!

    This is very true. However, even with just a dog (we're also in the children-soon-in-theory plan), we went ahead and got the CX-5 to replace her car, because after several trips with my 3, we learned a few things.

    First: the space is all compromises. I love my 3, I can fit anything in it...so long as I'm not also carrying humans. Christmas trips with me, the wife, the dog, a boatload of presents, and luggage, has often left the dog accidentally buried under piles of stuff. The beach trip we just took in the CX-5? Everything fit in the back, with room to spare.

    Second: The CX-5 is tiny on the outside. It's the same length as my car. Taller and heavier, yes, but I since we live in the city, length is what really matters to us on how big a car "feels", and the CX-5 does not feel any bigger than my 3 when you're moving it about. Inside, of course, it's way bigger...but that's the point.

    Third: Granted, it's heavier, but the CX-5 still gets very good mileage for what it is. My 3 is before the SkyActiv upgrades, and I have the 2.5L, so it actually gets slightly better highway mileage than my 3...but that's obviously different on the newer models.

    Fourth: It still drives like a Mazda. It's the only CUV I didn't immediate hate when we were test driving them.

    So, if the 3 works for you, awesome. I love my 3. If I wasn't so sorely tempted by some of the new small model luxury cars coming out I'd say flat-out that a new Grand Touring 3 would be my next car. But if you're looking to haul kids, kid equipment, and other stuff besides, I'd at least look at the CX-5.
    Graeme K wrote:
    So, my family consists of a 2010 Mazda 3s hatchback and a 2015 CX-5, and I would recommend also trying the CX-5 if you're going to have children.

    But wait! It's foolish to get an SUV with just one child, you say!

    This is very true. However, even with just a dog (we're also in the children-soon-in-theory plan), we went ahead and got the CX-5 to replace her car, because after several trips with my 3, we learned a few things.

    First: the space is all compromises. I love my 3, I can fit anything in it...so long as I'm not also carrying humans. Christmas trips with me, the wife, the dog, a boatload of presents, and luggage, has often left the dog accidentally buried under piles of stuff. The beach trip we just took in the CX-5? Everything fit in the back, with room to spare.

    Second: The CX-5 is tiny on the outside. It's the same length as my car. Taller and heavier, yes, but I since we live in the city, length is what really matters to us on how big a car "feels", and the CX-5 does not feel any bigger than my 3 when you're moving it about. Inside, of course, it's way bigger...but that's the point.

    Third: Granted, it's heavier, but the CX-5 still gets very good mileage for what it is. My 3 is before the SkyActiv upgrades, and I have the 2.5L, so it actually gets slightly better highway mileage than my 3...but that's obviously different on the newer models.

    Fourth: It still drives like a Mazda. It's the only CUV I didn't immediate hate when we were test driving them.

    So, if the 3 works for you, awesome. I love my 3. If I wasn't so sorely tempted by some of the new small model luxury cars coming out I'd say flat-out that a new Grand Touring 3 would be my next car. But if you're looking to haul kids, kid equipment, and other stuff besides, I'd at least look at the CX-5.


    Being an ex-M3 owner and currently a CX-5 GT FWD owner, I concur with all your points.

    To the OP, as long as you're not picky about:
      the iPod interface
      crappy nav system
      annoying infotainment interface
    the 2014 CX-5 should be on your short-list.
    The CX5 arguments seem to be, "but what about hauling lots of stuff?"

    The F350 crew cab takes care of that nicely. :)

    The 3 would be an around town car for wife + kid, and a moderate traveling vehicle if we don't have to carry insane amounts of stuff. The pickup covers those cases.

    I commute on bicycle. Or, worst case, motorcycle.
    Syonyk wrote:
    The CX5 arguments seem to be, "but what about hauling lots of stuff?"

    The F350 crew cab takes care of that nicely. :)


    You might want to put that in bold, perhaps with blinking text and the marquee tag? :D
    thegrommit wrote:
    Syonyk wrote:
    The CX5 arguments seem to be, "but what about hauling lots of stuff?"

    The F350 crew cab takes care of that nicely. :)


    You might want to put that in bold, perhaps with blinking text and the marquee tag? :D


    Keep in mind that threads here don't have a lot of limitations. The OP can ask whatever they want, but there's no law that prevents people from heading off in a different direction. People like to share and, on Ars, they share whether it's what the OP asked for or not. ;)
    With questions about road noise with the 3. I had a '09 3 and it was pretty noisy. Didn't bother me that much since my highway drives were 10 minutes at most. I now have a '12 3 (Skyactiv) and it was much improved.

    I am probably going to be in the market for a new car sometime soon, and I am kinda split between going with another 3 or if I should give a Focus a try. (get S plan on Mazda or X plan on Ford). I absolutely loved the '09 3 for sportiness and fun factor...had manual. They didn't have any manuals out yet when I got the '12 3. The automatic is perfectly fine, and the manual mode is quite nifty, but it doesn't feel like it had as much soul as the '09 did. I really think I need to go back to a manual though.
    Graeme K wrote:
    So, my family consists of a 2010 Mazda 3s hatchback and a 2015 CX-5, and I would recommend also trying the CX-5 if you're going to have children.

    But wait! It's foolish to get an SUV with just one child, you say!

    This is very true. However, even with just a dog (we're also in the children-soon-in-theory plan), we went ahead and got the CX-5 to replace her car, because after several trips with my 3, we learned a few things.

    First: the space is all compromises. I love my 3, I can fit anything in it...so long as I'm not also carrying humans. Christmas trips with me, the wife, the dog, a boatload of presents, and luggage, has often left the dog accidentally buried under piles of stuff. The beach trip we just took in the CX-5? Everything fit in the back, with room to spare.

    Second: The CX-5 is tiny on the outside. It's the same length as my car. Taller and heavier, yes, but I since we live in the city, length is what really matters to us on how big a car "feels", and the CX-5 does not feel any bigger than my 3 when you're moving it about. Inside, of course, it's way bigger...but that's the point.

    Third: Granted, it's heavier, but the CX-5 still gets very good mileage for what it is. My 3 is before the SkyActiv upgrades, and I have the 2.5L, so it actually gets slightly better highway mileage than my 3...but that's obviously different on the newer models.

    Fourth: It still drives like a Mazda. It's the only CUV I didn't immediate hate when we were test driving them.

    So, if the 3 works for you, awesome. I love my 3. If I wasn't so sorely tempted by some of the new small model luxury cars coming out I'd say flat-out that a new Grand Touring 3 would be my next car. But if you're looking to haul kids, kid equipment, and other stuff besides, I'd at least look at the CX-5.

    Great info, thanks. I'm looking at getting a 2015 CX-5 GT by the end of the year.
    The 3 looks great. As does the 6. As does most of Mazda's' lineup.

    Saw one today. Looks very sporty and aggressive, almost in a shooting brake kind of way. Definitely does not look like your typical Civrolla economy car (which 99% of people will still buy over a 3 though).
    zAmboni wrote:
    With questions about road noise with the 3. I had a '09 3 and it was pretty noisy. Didn't bother me that much since my highway drives were 10 minutes at most. I now have a '12 3 (Skyactiv) and it was much improved.

    I am probably going to be in the market for a new car sometime soon, and I am kinda split between going with another 3 or if I should give a Focus a try. (get S plan on Mazda or X plan on Ford). I absolutely loved the '09 3 for sportiness and fun factor...had manual. They didn't have any manuals out yet when I got the '12 3. The automatic is perfectly fine, and the manual mode is quite nifty, but it doesn't feel like it had as much soul as the '09 did. I really think I need to go back to a manual though.


    2015 Mazda3 2.5-Liter with stick shift confirmed
    Guess I forgot to specify, My current car and the '09 were both the 2.0L versions. I have the hatch now, and the '09 was the sedan. It may have been the difference between the hatch and the 4-door that made it feel different ant not necessarily the auto/manual difference.
    Looks like all we have in Canada are the Mazda3 sedans. The Mazda3 was tentatively on our list, but I could swear they had hatchbacks here. We really want a hatch again for the ease of loading / unloading large items.

    I guess they may be off the list beyond never responding to our request for a test drive last time. :D
    Just as another voice I also loved the CX-5 and almost bought one instead of the 6. It really down to I so rarely ever have to haul anything, and never have more than one passenger. It's not the solution for Syonyk but if anyone's considering a smaller SUV it's the one to get for this year in my opinion.

    As for the entertainment system the Bluetooth stuff in my 6 is pretty amazing, compared to anything else I've ever used. (I'm on Android for what it's worth.) If I'm playing a podcast using an app, it pauses it when I turn the car off, and automatically starts playing again when I go. It's got integrated Pandora support so I can pull up my stations right on the in-dash screen. Again, auto stop and start of play.

    That covers pretty much everything I do. The only thing that doesn't work is it's supposed to be able to download texts from my phone when they come in an display them on the screen. Actually I typically turn off the in-car calling feature unless I really need to make a call. (Which generally doesn't happen.) Hands free or not I can wait the ten minutes to talk to someone.
    Yeah, texts don't work for me on the CX-5 with an iPhone 5 either. It tells me a new message came in and would I like to download it, but even if I say yes, nothing happens or is displayed. The phone over BT works amazingly even though I don't use it often. Most of the time the people on the other end don't even know I'm in the car. The voice commands for the overall system aren't that great though when it comes to the NAV system. It often times doesn't understand what I'm saying and it ends up being quicker to just use the touch screen buttons. However, it is pretty slick when it comes to Pandora. With the Pandora integration to my iPhone, I can just push the button and say, "Play Red Hot Chili Peppers," and it'll understand it and select my Red Hot Chili Peppers station.

    As I mentioned earlier, I got the CX-5 for trips to the ski resort in the winter (I'm a part time ski instructor and teach every weekend). I commute on motorcycle during the rest of the year, so most of my mileage on the CX-5 is done in the winter. The 40/20/40 split rear seat is a godsend when it comes to hauling skis. This was one of the major winning points for me. I can carry skis without sacrificing a passenger seat or needing to buy and use a roof rack.
    Crombie wrote:
    Looks like all we have in Canada are the Mazda3 sedans. The Mazda3 was tentatively on our list, but I could swear they had hatchbacks here. We really want a hatch again for the ease of loading / unloading large items.

    I guess they may be off the list beyond never responding to our request for a test drive last time. :D


    Odd, I've seen a metric tonne of the 2014 Mazda 3 hatchbacks ( Mazda 3 Sport) in the Toronto/GTA area. The vehicle is listed on the website but not in the configurator. Actually they only have the 2013 model listed in the configurator?
    Quote:
    The CX5 arguments seem to be, "but what about hauling lots of stuff?"

    The F350 crew cab takes care of that nicely.


    I'm not ignoring the F-350, I just said it was worth checking out the CX-5. :p
    Graeme K wrote:
    Quote:
    The CX5 arguments seem to be, "but what about hauling lots of stuff?"

    The F350 crew cab takes care of that nicely.


    I'm not ignoring the F-350, I just said it was worth checking out the CX-5. :p


    We did, and it's a bit on the large size for what my wife prefers to drive around.
    Well there you go!
    82 posts •
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3  Next